Din Thomas retires on air minutes after Robertson’s title loss, absorbs two days of backlash, then apologizes: ‘I stole her moment’
The veteran coach used his own analyst chair on the UFC 330 post-fight show to end a two-decade cornering career, saying his longtime student may have gone as far as she can go. She had not yet spoken. By Sunday, Strickland, Anik, and a blindsided Dana White had all weighed in. By Monday, Thomas opened his own show with an apology he did not soften.

Din Thomas has closed the book on his cornering career, and he did it on live television, minutes after the fight that ended it. Within 48 hours, he was apologizing for how.
The longtime coach, who spent nearly two decades at American Top Team before departing in 2020 to train fighters independently, was pulling double duty at UFC 330 in Philadelphia on Saturday, working as a UFC on Paramount+ broadcast analyst and cornering Gillian Robertson in her strawweight title challenge against Mackenzie Dern. When Robertson’s bid fell short by unanimous decision over five rounds, Thomas returned to the desk and made it official.
“I do have an announcement for you guys,” Thomas said on the post-fight show. “I told myself I would continue to do this until I took Gillian as far as she could go. I think that might be as far as she can go, and I am officially retiring from cornering fighters tonight. It’s just that I told myself that I would do this with her. I would see her journey out and take her as far as I think she can go, and this might be as far as she can go. I’m doing the Matt Serra. I am no longer cornering fighters.”
The practical explanation followed. Thomas, 49, made clear he intends to keep working with fighters in the gym; what ends is the corner itself. Cornering at the highest level, in his telling, carries too much stress and obligation to run alongside his broadcast schedule: the full week on site, the weight cut, the walkout, the sixty seconds between rounds carrying someone else’s fight. He said he had been building toward the decision for some time and that continuing would be unfair to fighters who deserve a cornerman fully committed to the job.
The résumé he retires is among the deepest of the modern coaching era. A former UFC fighter whose own career ran from the late 1990s to 2014, Thomas spent nearly two decades on the coaching side at American Top Team, working with generations of contenders and champions including former welterweight titleholder Tyron Woodley, before leaving in 2020 to coach independently, taking Robertson with him, while building a parallel career as one of the sport’s most respected broadcast analysts. Robertson was the through-line he kept when the media work grew. Per Yardbarker, he had trained her since she was 15 years old, a partnership that ran from a Florida teenager to Saturday’s title shot.
That is what made the announcement land the way it did. Robertson, minutes removed from the loss and yet to speak publicly, heard her ceiling assessed by her own coach on the broadcast before she left the building. By Sunday morning, the sport had stopped discussing the retirement and started discussing the way he did it.
Sean Strickland’s response arrived with the subtlety his followers expect, which is to say none.
“Din Thomas is a f*****g c**t,” the middleweight champion wrote on X, before grounding the insult in his own résumé. “Ive had my a** kicked in multiple weight classes through my career and won two titles… Youre a d**k head.” In a follow-up, he sharpened the actual argument inside the profanity: “Girl goes out there and tries to do something and you put her down.”
Strip the language away and Strickland’s position is narrow and coherent, and it is one he has held consistently for years. The retirement itself is anyone’s call to make. The timing and the venue are the offence. A coach announcing his own exit, on a live broadcast, in the immediate aftermath of a loss, with a verdict on the fighter’s ceiling attached, reads as abandonment whether it was intended that way or not. The corner is supposed to hold the line when the fighter cannot. Strickland’s own career is his evidence: losses in two weight classes, a title won with the 2023 upset of Israel Adesanya, a second reign claimed from the previously unbeaten Khamzat Chimaev in May, all of it built on nights when somebody in his corner declined to call his ceiling on camera.
He was not alone, and the company he drew is what makes the backlash notable. Jon Anik, the UFC’s lead play-by-play voice and one of the most diplomatic men in the sport, responded with three words that travelled everywhere: “Wow. Awful. Not about you, bro!” He followed with a plainer verdict, calling the announcement “a wild misstep.” Former Bellator champion Julia Budd went further, suggesting that if that was the attitude Thomas showed a fighter on national television, he should retire from coaching altogether, a pointed response to Thomas’s plan to give up only the corner.
Even the promotion’s CEO declined to defend the moment. Dana White, asked at the post-event press conference, said Thomas had told him nothing in advance. “That’s weird. He didn’t say anything to me,” White said. “I’ve never heard about retiring from cornering. That might be a first. Maybe he’s just tired of the grind. He’s worked with so many fighters over the years. Maybe he’s just burnt out.”
White’s bemusement points at the genuinely unusual part. Cornering is a role coaches typically age out of quietly, handing fight-week duties to younger staff while remaining the voice of a camp. A formal, public retirement from the stool is close to unprecedented, and the pattern underneath it is one the sport’s media era keeps producing: coaches who move deeper into broadcasting eventually find the two schedules stop cooperating. Fight weeks land on production weeks. Weight-cut mornings collide with camera calls. Thomas made the call before the schedule made it for him. The venue he chose to make it is the part he began answering for within 48 hours.
The answer came Monday, at the top of his own show. Thomas opened Deep Waters, the programme he hosts for UFC on Paramount+ and YouTube, with an apology that made no attempt to negotiate the verdict against him.
“Saturday night was the most inappropriate time for me to bring up the fact that I did not want to corner again,” Thomas said. “It was completely irresponsible; it was despicable. I shouldn’t have done it. I should have waited until maybe even today. I should have waited until a different time than to take away her moment. This is a young lady that I’ve worked with for her entire career. For the last seven years, it’s just been me and her working endlessly, traveling, working together.”
Then he went further than the timing.
“I selfishly stole her moment that night, and instead of congratulating her on her run, I stole her moment,” he said. “And I want to apologize to her for that because I stole her moment, and I was completely wrong. I’m ashamed. I’m embarrassed, but I’m not too big to say I’m sorry. And for her, Gillian, I love you. I got your back. I’ve always had your back. This is not the end. I’m always going to support you, and whatever you need, I’m always here for you, the same way I’ve been for you the last seven years when it was just us.”
Thomas also filled in the history behind the impulse, saying he has tried to quit cornering repeatedly over the years and came close after Jake Paul knocked out Tyron Woodley in their late-2021 boxing rematch, an account Jorge Masvidal, appearing on the same show, backed up. “We know how this is, it’s an emotional rollercoaster,” Thomas said of the cornering life. “I’ve been very vocal about this, that it’s not my favorite thing to do.”
The apology’s early reception was itself divided. Some in the sport credited Thomas for the completeness of the admission, delivered unprompted at the top of his own programme rather than through a publicist’s statement. Others observed that the apology addressed the timing and the stolen moment more directly than the ceiling assessment itself, which remains the wound. Both readings are available. What is not in dispute is that he made no excuses, invoked no context in his own defence, and used the word despicable about himself before anyone else could use it again.
And the fighter at the center of it has still said nothing, which gives the record a chance to speak for her. Robertson, 30, went 5-0 after dropping to strawweight to earn the title shot. She was attempting to become the first Canadian UFC champion since Georges St-Pierre. She took the champion five rounds and finished the fight in the strongest position of her night, controlling Dern from the top for the final five minutes, the one round she clearly banked. That is the closing image her coach’s ceiling verdict has to coexist with. A fighter who ends a losing title fight on top of the champion has, at minimum, left the question more open than a live-television eulogy allowed. She remains under UFC contract at 115 pounds.
The broader argument Strickland’s posts reopened is one the sport relitigates every few years, and it never resolves cleanly because both truths hold. Coaches are people with careers, limits, and the right to walk away. And the corner is a promise whose whole value is that it does not expire at the worst possible moment. Saturday night put those two truths in the same minute of broadcast television. Monday’s apology conceded which one weighs heavier, in the coach’s own words, on the coach’s own show.
For Thomas, the next fight week arrives with a headset instead of a bucket. The analysis work continues. The gym work continues. The stool, the towel, and the sixty seconds between rounds now belong to somebody else. Robertson’s next move is the one still waiting to be made, and whenever she speaks, hers will be the only verdict on her ceiling that matters. Her coach, to his credit, has now said the same thing himself.
Join XP Passport to continue reading
Create your XP Passport to finish this piece and unlock every article — plus exclusive analysis and the member community.
More coverage

Makhachev names his preference for the next defence. With both contenders in attendence, it leans towards Prates.

UFC 330 wrap: Makhachev breaks the record that stood above everyone, and Philadelphia’s very-own, chokes out a six-to-one favourite
